Brighton & Hove Albion

Steering: Approval of working vegetation dealing with or processing meat

Get approval from the Food Standards Agency or local food authority to operate facilities that process or handle meat.

In order to operate a facility that processes or handles meat, you must obtain a permit. In England and Wales, this comes from either the Food Standards Agency (FSA) or the local food authority, depending on what you are doing.

How to apply

Contact the Food Standards Agency to get approval for:

  • Slaughterhouses
  • Pruning plants
  • Hunting establishments
  • Meat wholesale market

If you would like to apply for the approval of farm slaughterhouses for farmed game, you must also contact the FSA.

If you have cold stores, minced meat, meat preparation, repackaging / repackaging plants and meat processing plants in the same location, these will also be approved by the FSA.

A veterinary officer reviews applications and inspects plants for approval.

Contact the local government agency to obtain authorization to operate as a stand-alone:

  • Meat preparation companies
  • Meat processing and repackaging companies
  • Minced meat factories
  • Cold stores

Find your local authority

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button