Natural England has received EU LIFE funding for the LIFE R4ever Kent partnership project. This project has a special focus on freshwater pearl mussels (Margaritifera margaritifera).
The LIFE R4ever Kent project aims to:
- Improving the ecological status of internationally important habitats and species
- Remove invasive species from over 20 kilometers of rivers
- facilitate the conclusion of agreements on agri-environmental schemes
- Raising awareness of the importance of the SAC
The project will achieve this by collaborating with farmers, land managers and the local community.
Natural England is leading the project and working in partnership with:
- the environmental agency
- South Cumbria Rivers Trust
- Freshwater Biological Association
In addition to the 2.6 million grants from EU LIFE, the contributions from the project partners make up a total of 3.6 million grants to LIFE R4ever Kent. The project will run from October 2021 for 5 years.
Contact: LIFER4everKent@naturalengland.org.uk LIFE project number: LIFE20 NAT/UK/001013